All new small business shared hosting instances will use the LiteSpeed web server by default. LiteSpeed is up to nine times faster than Apache, and offers better security out of the box when using scripting languages like PHP. We recommend LiteSpeed because it’s:
- Better security over Apache when using mod_php. Scripts by default run as the customer’s user and group permissions.
- Up to 50% faster with PHP when compared to a Apache/mod_php configuration.
- Completely interchangeable with Apache. It reads apache configuration files, and works with mod_rewrite rules.
- Scales much better than apache. This means if your site gets a flood of traffic, LiteSpeed will handle it much better
- Built-in Anti-DDoS protection. Protects your sites from hackers disabling your web site.
- Much smaller memory footprint. This means more memory available for PHP application to run.
Previously we had to use suPHP to ensure customer scripts ran as their user/group. The only issue with this setup was a sacrifice in performance. With Litespeed not only does the scripts run as your user/group permissions, but also better performance when compared to apache/mod_php. This also means no more worrying about using PHP’s safe mode. You also don’t have to deal with odd permissions on files or folders when uploading files via a PHP application.
All of this is important when using CMS/blogging tools like WordPress. Every page is generated dynamically from a database, so speed is the utmost in importance.
For compatibility or interruption of service, we aren’t upgrading existing Apache instances with LiteSpeed. Any existing customer who wishes to be moved to one of our Litespeed instances, please contact support for the request.